The genealogy of the Grants of Iverk, Co Kilkenny from 1320 to 1654

Ballynabouly tree (the bones come from Gen. Office Ms 217)

We have seen so far how the Grants became Barons of Iverk, sold the barony, and continued to live in Polroan and Curlody. Their exact descent becomes blurred as written records become rarer in the dark ages. However the rent rolls of the Ormondes give valuable information, as there are numerous mentions of them . The Earls of Ormonde kept copious rent records, and using these, we can compare the Ormonde rental of 1560 with the Cromwellian confiscations of 1654, and see how permanent the family were.

Circa 1413, in a list of royal service due to the Lord of Overk (the Butlers), the following lands are cited: Lord Roch of Rowyr [The Rower], Leserlyng [Listerlin], Balmagurin [Ballygurrim?], Four heirs of Odaa [Ida], Kilcroyn, Dunkyt [Dunkitt], Orynane otherwise called Dynbryn [the manor of Grenagh], Kilmaboigh [Kilmacow], Kilreske, Carrymoclagh, Baltartyn [Ballytarsney], Ballyheyn, and Loghran, Killagh and Rossenane [Rossinan]. Source: Ormond Deeds, ii. p.316-317.

The 1560 rent roll shows:-

James Grant rent worth £20 Curlody

Thomas Grant rent worth £15 Ballynebouly

Edmund Grant rent worth £5 Polroan

1640 The distribution of lands in the barony of Iverk shows the major landowners as the Butlers, followed by the Datons (Daltons), the Walshs, Grants, Strangs, and Denns.

1659 census, Barony of Iverke gives the principal Irish names and their number, included: Aildwood, 007 ; Butler, 014 ; Browne, 06 ; Cody, 006 ; Donell, 009 ; Daton, 022 ; Dullard, 05 ; Dunfy, 05 ; Fitzgerald, 007 ; Grant, 033 ; Haly & Healy, 008 ; Kenedy, 007 ; Kelly, 006 ; Morphey, 006 ; Mogher, 006 ; Phelan, 011 ; Powre & Poore, 008 ; McPhillipp, 007 ; Quin, 020 ; McShane, 009 ; Welsh & Walsh, 087. Total Irish in the barony, 1358 ; total English in the barony, 099.

The Cromwellian confiscation of 1654 shows:

David Grant 920 acres Curlody

Thomas Grant 63 acres Ballynebouly

Edmund Grant 605 acres Polroan

Richard Grant 89 acres Aglish & Portnahully

From the sale of the Barony until 1654 the Grants had continued to live in the same part of the old barony, handing the land down from father to son. The land remained part of the Ormonde estates throughout the whole period.

From the available historical data we can trace various mentions of the Grant family. These can be broken down into four main families by area. Given that the population of Ireland was about the same in 1300 as in 1650, we would assume that there were roughly the same number of Grant families around in 1300 as in 1650. There are continuous references to them throughout the period at specific locations. Therefore it is reasonable to say that the families living in these locations in 1650 are the direct descendants of the families which lived there in 1300. In addition various pedigrees exist, so in some areas large portions of the family tree can be found.

Curloddy Castle

Curloddy

Curloddy, or the round hill of the mine, is situated on a hill overlooking the river Suir. It has a fine castle which is also on a hill. This castle was built during the Norman period. Grant, the landlord, of Glengrant, lived there. The mortar of this building is supposed to have been mixed with blood. There is a secret tunnel going from it to Grannagh passing under the road. At one time, the castle was attacked and part of it was blown off by cannonball. This was built up again and can easily be seen.The stairs are made of stone and is still sound. The roof was supposed to have been made of thatch. Corluddy was only an outside fortress of Grannagh Castle and the occupants could escape from one castle to the other through the tunnel. Corluddy castle is 5 storey high, and is roofless but in good state of preservation. It belonged to the Grants until confiscated by Cromwell. The castle is a late medieval tower house associated with the Grant family and is listed on the Kilkenny Record of Monuments and Places under reference number: KK045-013.

1365 David Held Manor of Corlody

1392 David of Grennagh, son of David

1392 James of Grennagh, son of Richard

1415 David 3d for Corlody,suit of court,40d royal service

1432 David

1560 James rent worth £20

1601 Richard fitzDavid receives a pardon

1608 Richard constable of Iverk (Carew Mss)

1611 Richard accused of harbouring a priest, John Madden

1619 Richard juror

1621 James I, King of England, of Scotland and of Ireland, approves the lease on fief passed between the late Walter Walsh of Castlhoell, in the County of Kilkenny, Esquire, on the one part and Richard Grant of Corloddy, and William Wale of Muckery in the County of Tipperary.

1640 David of Farrinvirida & Clonmore

1654 David forfeiting Irish papist

1690 Walter outlawed and land confiscated

Aglish

1415 McArland held Portnahully for 2d

1589 Walter claimed parcel of land called Arlonds Land

1590 Walter lived in Cork.tax collecter & soldier. ?

1601 Richard of Filbuckstown, fitzRichard, granted pardon

1603 Walter of Portnescully, pardoned

1608 Walter of Portnahully,Constable of Iverk (Carew mss)

1640 Richard of Filbuckstown holds 7.5 Irish a.,+ Clonmore

1654 Richard Irish papist, forfeited Aglish & Portnahully

1664 {Richard hold 15 acres in Portnahully

{John

1682 John Rev of Clonmore died.wife Ellen(nee Purcell)

Polroan

Pollrone castle stood, it is said, close to the church, on the ground now occupied by Mr. Edward Murphy's dwelling-house. In 1653, Edmund Grant, Irish Papist, forfeited Polerone (a castle, a house, and a church), and part of Ballaghgevan (a subdivision of Dournane).

Mentions of Polroan,inc. Ballytarsney & Dunguloy, are as follows:

1313 David of Illud, Ballytarsney & Ballycorry

1342 David son of William of Ballytarsney, granted land at Tyremore,Illud, to his son William

1342 John son of David of Tyremore

1342 Raymond son of David of Tyremore

1358 David of Polroan

1443 Simon 8s rent at Polroan

1509 Peter of Ballytarsney, vicar,student of Oxford,died

1536 Thomas holds Dunguloy

1536 John holds Ballytarsney

1570 Edmond held Polroan for £8

1589 Richard lived in Polroan, Ballytarsney

1589 Geoffrey lived in Polroan,died 1601,son William b.1593

1589 David fitzThomas, husbandman, aged 65, of Polroan

1589 Richard fitzThomas, husbandman, aged 43

1589 John alias Shane Mac Thomas, aged 40

1591 Patrick a minor & layman, vicar of Ballytarsney, Polroane

1593 William son of Geoffrey, born

1619 William juror, of Polroan

1639 Galfred died age 38,4 a.in Polroan, 3 in Ballytarsney

1639 William son & heir of Galfred, born 1629

1641 William of Ballytarsney cited for robbing a protestant called Jessop

1654 Edmund forfeits Polroan, part of Dournane, castle,house, church and land

Ballynabouley

Specific mentions of Ballynabouly, inc Kilmacow & Illud, are:

1302 William Kilmacow

1313 William Kilmacow

1415 David rents 40 acres for 24s in Newton

1432 William rents half of Flemingstown for 6/8d

1429 Geoffry rents farm in Newton,has land in Co Kil & Tip

1434 Edmund ? tenure for 10s

1491 Edmund alias Incally, rents Kilmacow for 30 marks

1536 Peter holds Ballinearla

1536 William holds Ballynabouley and Illud

1557 Thomas of Ballynabouley, holds half a mill

1548 Thomas horseman, Ballynabouley,pardoned,son of Wm

1570 Thomas ? held land in Grennagh worth £15

1587 Arlond of Ballynabouley, pardoned

1587 James of Ballynabouley, pardoned

1589 Peter heir to Ballinearla

1595 James of Ballynabouley purchased Courthoil (parish Newban Bargy, Barony New Ross) from W. Walshe

In addition there is a pedigree with father to son relation for these
  Thomas  
  James pardoned 1587, d.1615, m.Ellena Tobin
  David b1586, d.1627, m.Ellen FitzNicholas
  Thomas b.1605, forfeited Ballynabouly castle + 63 a. his brothers were James, Nicholas, John
  James apprenticed to A.Richards of Waterford in 1658 brothers were Thomas

So by now we have taken the Grants from their arrival in Ireland with the Norman Invasion, through a period of stability in Iverk for four hundred years, through to a period of massive upheaval with the wars and confiscations which started in 1642.

Up to 1600 the Grants in Ireland were confined to this small area in the south of Co Kilkenny, the rump of the land that they had held as Barons of Iverk. There were no Grants in Dublin, and only the odd excursion to Waterford. Pender in the 1659 census of Ireland gives only 48 Grant families in Ireland - 33 in Iverk, 7 in Ida,Igram & Iberson, 6 in Waterford (5 in city, 1 Patrick) in Westward), 1 (Thomas) in Mallow and 1 (Edward)in Carrickfergus. The confiscations had already taken place and the new owners of Polroan and Curlody are listed.

It was the Cromwellian confiscations that forced the family to venture further afield, pushing them into Tipperary and even France as they wilted under the onslaught of the upheavals.

Return to the Grant genealogy index