1829. Born 14 Aug 1829 in Ireland (from USA records), and that gives him as son of George Blong
and Mary Holmes. In the same town in Ohio a George H Blong was given as born
1834 in Ireland and aged 26 in Hamilton, Ohio in 1860 census.
1850 May 30. Thomas Blong age 20 arrives Philadelphia on SS Mary Pleasant. Place of origin Ireland. Occupation farmer
1856. Thomas Blong marriage to Sarah Jane Williams on 13 Feb 1856, Hamilton, Ohio
He buys two plots at Spring Grove, Ohio, Cemetery Records. The first is for his own direct family
- (lot 22, space 1) Unnamed Blong b. 15 Nov 1858, d. 21 Nov 1858 child of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 2) Emma Bell Blong b. 17 Nov 1863, d. 21 Sep 1865. daughter of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 3) Clifford W Blong b. 4 May 1867, d. 5 Nov 1870. son of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 4) Mary A Williams b. Penn . d 20 Apr 1890 aged 83yrs, 1 month & 3 days Mother of Sarah J Blong
- (lot 22, space 5) Dr Charles F Locke b. 4 Jun 1854, d. 16 Sep 1896. Son in law of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 6) Ella J Locke b. d 26 Nov 1900. aged 41 yrs 1 mth 3 days. dau of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 7) Sarah J Blong b ? 20 Jan ? in Pa, died 5 April 1906, parents ? & Mary Jane Williams
- (lot 22, space 8) Thomas Blong. b. 14 Aug 1829 in Ireland. d.11 Aug 1915 , Son of George and Mary H Blong. Burial arranged by George Blong.
- (lot 22, space 9) Eliphalet Stevens b 22 Dec 1858. d.28 Sep 1933. son in law of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 10) Anna M Stevens b 12 Dec 1861 d. 31 May 1940. dau of Thomas and Sarah Jane Blong
- (lot 22, space 11) George Stevens b 9 Mar 1892, d. 4 Feb 1970 . son of Eliphalet and Anna (Blong) Stevens. Husband of Gennie Henry.
- (lot 22, space 12) Gennie Stevens b. 31 Jan 1897, d. 27 Feb 1988. dau of Calvin & Emma Henry. Wife of George Stevens
And a second plot for his brothers and sisters, etc
- (lot 8, space 1) Joseph Blong died 1 Mar 1856 . Suicide. aged about 39 . Born Ireland. Lot owner - Thomas Blong.
- (lot 8, space 2) Unnamed Tayor b 27 Nov 1855, d. 30 Nov 1855 child of W C & Mary A Taylor
- (lot 8, space 3) Mary Caroline Taylor b. 29 Jan 1859, d. 15 Feb 1859. Lot owner - Thomas Blong.
- (lot 8, space 4) Elizabeth Bradley d 22 Dec 1859, aged 16. Born Ireland
- (lot 8, space 5) Charles George Taylor b. 28 Jun 1862, d 17 Aug 1862
- (lot 8, space 6) Charles LeBlanc d. 28 Sep 1868, born in Ireland, aged 28, son of George and Mary LeBlanc (therefore born 1840)
- (lot 8, space 7) Maria Bradley died 15 Dec 1893 age 77 born Ireland dau of ? & Mary Blong (so born 1816) , widowed, sister of Harriet Allen, lot owner
- (lot 8, space 8) William Le'B Taylor died 14 Nov 1897. aged 41, born Ohio, Nephew of Harriet Allen, lot owner. Son of Wm A & M A Taylor.
- (lot 8, space 9) David Black Allen b.23 Mar 1818, d. 1 Oct 1900. Born in Pa, son of John & Mary Allen. Husband of Harriet Allen the plot owner.
- (lot 8, space 10) Harriet Allen d. 7 Feb 1903. Died in New York aged 84. Buriel ordered by Hal Miller. She was the plot owner.
- (lot 8, space 11) Mary Ann Taylor b 14 Jan 1824, d 17 Jul 1905 born in Ireland, daughter of George LeBlanc and sister of Harriet Allen, the plot owner.
- (lot 8, space 12).William W Allen d. 24 Nov 1925. Son of Harriet Allen, plot owner
- (lot 8, space 13) Clara S Allen b. 4 Apr 1865 in Ohio, d. 13 Jul 1937. Dau-in-law of Harriet Allen, plot owner. Wife of Walter W.Allen. Dau of William & Martha Selden.
- (lot 8, space 14) Blanche S Taylor b.27 Nov 1878, d. 4 Jul 1946. Dau of Capt William and Mary Ann LeBlanc Taylor. Born Ohio
Had a son George there, who was born in Camp Washington, Hamilton County, Ohio
in April 1857. They also had Ella J Blong (Charles Franklin Locke, received
his early education in the public schools and Woodward High School, was graduated
from the Ohio Medical College in 1876, and is now engaged in the practice of
his profession in Cincinnati; he married Ella, daughter of Thomas Blong, a stock
merchant of Warren county, Ohio.) and Anna M Blong as daughters in 1880
census in Ohio
A Joseph Blong arrives in New York, USA, aged 40 on 8 Jul 1854 from Liverpool on the SS Baltic. This would appear to be the man who committed suicide in 1856 in the burials in Ohio, above. His trade is given as "butcher" so he is certainly a Blong from Portarlington area.
Their child appear to have been
- b1857 d. George
- b1858. d1858 Unnamed
- b1859 , d1900 Ella J (married Dr Charles F Locke)
- b.1861, d1940 Anna M (married Eliphalet Stevens)
- b1863, d1865 Emma Bell
- b1867, d1870 Clifford W
He may have had a daughter Charlotte Blong who
claimed back in Ireland to be married to Paris Singer, the sewing machine heir.
This was cited by Jack Smallhorn, but appears to be untrue.
1870 USA Census, Hamilton Co, Ohio son Thomas Blong and his wife Sarah J living 3 doors away from George and Mary Bradley (Thomas Blong's nephew)
Thomas and Sarah are buried in Spring Grove Cemetery. A few of their children are buried there plus a Joseph Blong b circa 1817 in Ireland , died 1856 (his death was suicide)
1906 . Interred Sarah Blong
1910 census aged 81 he is living with his daughter Anna M Stevens
1912 He is cited
as the oldest living butcher in Ohio in 1912.
1915 Aug 11 Interred Thomas Blong, a retired livestock dealer
George Blong, his father