The Caernarfon Poor Law Union was officially declared 5th May 1837, the Workhouse was then erected at The Park, Caernarfon.
Within the union at the 1831 census the population had been 22,019 with parishes ranging in size from Bettws Garmon (population 128) to Llanbeblig (7,642). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1834-36 had been £6,364.
In Carnarvon, as in many other Welsh unions, there was little enthusiasm for the new workhouse system and it was not until 1846 that a workhouse became operational. The Carnarvon Union workhouse accommodated up to 200 inmates and occupied a site to the south of the town.
Its entrance at the south of the site was flanked by single storey blocks, presumably including a porter's lodge and perhaps a receiving block. The E-shaped main building was three storeys high in at the front with single storey wings extending northwards at the rear.
On October 12th, 1846, the union's Clerk wrote to the Poor Law Commissioners
to seek guidance regarding the serving of refreshments from workhouse stores
to the Guardians at their board meetings. Some of the guardians travelled a
distance of from twelve to fifteen miles, direct from home. The Clerk enquired
whether "the master of the workhouse may supply the Guardians with a basin
of soup, and a piece of bread each, in order to insure the attendance of the
guardians till the termination of the proceedings of the board." The Commissioners'
answer, though sympathetic, was in the negative:
The Commissioners are well aware of the value of the public services of the guardians of unions, and of the time and attention which they devote to the discharge of their official duties. The Commissioners would readily concur in any arrangement which could be properly made, either for promoting the comfort and convenience of the guardians, or for diminishing the claims made upon the time which they might otherwise devote for the transaction of their private affairs ; but the proposition alluded to in your letter is not one to which the Commissioners' concurrence could give any validity, since the law itself has not placed the matter within their discretion, so as to render any expense which might be incurred for such a purpose legally payable out of the poor-rates.
In the early 1900s, the union erected a large new hospital known as Eryri Infirmary.
It was located at the north-east of the workhouse and used a typical pavilion-plan
layout with separate male and female ward pavilions either side of a central
Carnarvon workhouse site, 1918.
From 1925 to 1948 the workhouse part of the site operated as Bodfan Mental Home 1925-1948. It then merged with the adjacent Eryri Hospital. The old workhouse buildings are now (2000) largely used for hospital administrative accommodation.
Caernarfon Record Office: Caernarvon Union records
Records of the Caernarvon Union, 1842-1946, comprising records of the Clerk to the Guardians, 1881-1931; Workhouse Master's records, 1842-1946; Relieving Officer's records, 1887-1940; records relating to births, marriages and deaths, 1871-1941; vaccination registers, 1853-1933; and assessment reco
Jane Thomas b1864