This is an early nineteenth century essay in the Jacobean style built of limestone ashlar with transom and mullion windows, gables and finials on the gables. The gateway has double headed eagles and very pretty eagles at the Lodge.
Cangort Park was owned by the Trench family. (Not to be confused with the adjacent estate called Cangort which was was owned by the Atkinson family ). Guy Atkinson (b1800) married Margaret Trench (daughter of William Trench, owner of Cangort Park) on 24 Oct 1839
The tennant system relied upon a large number of tennant farmers supporting each grand house. Cangort Park had 300 acres and Cangort had 500 acres. Cangort was broken up into small farms by the Land Reforms ca.1922.
The estate was one of several owned by the Trench family.The estate included a large fruit orchard, massive barns and rich gently rolling farm land.
Cangort Park, the present home of Arthur Armitage, is an elegant two storey house, built for William Trench, brother of the first Lord Ashtown of Sopwell. It was designed by Richard Morrison and completed 1807. It has an extraordinary entrance and the interior is ingeniously planned with domed lobbies and bowed rooms.
The house is extremely interesting architecturally and although in poor condition now, the quality of the stonework, detail of design and elegant interior make Cangort Park an important part of the architectural heritage of County Offaly. The sole occupant was a farmer by the name of Armitage. He apparently nearly pulled it down a few years ago to build a bungalow.
Return to Shinrone History